2 (7 or 8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 and 1/2 pounds)
1 cup (240ml) chicken broth (I use reduced sodium)
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 (14 ounce) can corn (rinsed and drained) or 1 package of frozen corn
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small jalapeño, minced (remove seeds and ribs)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder (reduce to 1 teaspoon for less spicy chili)
1 Tablespoon ground cumin (for that key chili taste!)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 ounces brick-style light cream cheese (or full fat)
- Add all the ingredients except the cream cheese to a slow cooker. Give everything a stir as best you can to mix.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken and chop into pieces or shred into pieces, then return chicken to the slow cooker and give everything a few stirs.
- Stir in the cream cheese until fully melted and combined. Taste and add more salt or add ground black pepper to taste. Cover the slow cooker and cook for about 10-15 more minutes.
- Source - Sally's Baking Addiction
- Not surprisingly, I didn't add the jalapeño and I wenT for the "less spicy" option on the chili powder. I was going to add a can of diced chilies, but didn't have any.
- I also didn't add any salt.
- The cream cheese looked a little lumpy at first, but it all melted in before too long.
- It's very good!