8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled (1/2 c or more)
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz)
1/3 c finely chopped onions
4 large eggs
2 cups cream or half-and-half
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 425. Make pastry and place in pan.
- *Carefully line pastry with a double thickness of foil, gently pressing foil to bottom and side of pastry. Let foil extend over edge to prevent excessive browning. Bake 10 minutes; carefully remove foil and bake 2-4 minutes longer or until pastry just begins to brown and has become set. If crust bubbles, gently push bubbles down with back of spoon.
- Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in pie crust. In large bowl, beat eggs and add remaining ingredients. Pour into pie crust.
- Reduce oven temp to 325. Bake 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
* I skipped all this foil part and my crust bubbled. When I tried to push it down with a spoon, it cracked. At that point I was stuck and went ahead with the rest of the directions fully expecting it to be a stuck-to-the-bottom mess. Surprise! Not only did it not stick, but in spite of the fact that it must have leaked through, I couldn't tell where. All the pieces came out nicely.
In spite of the fact that this could be classified as girl food, the boys liked it. I'm crediting the bacon.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Chances are good that something will slosh out at some point while moving it into your oven or as it starts to expand while baking. (It did for me.) Put a pan under it and your oven won't get all messed up.