Sunday, May 1, 2011

Country Brunch

16 slices firm white bread
2 1/2 c cubed, cooked ham
1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. shredded mozzarella
6 eggs
3 c milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp onion powder

Trim the crust from bread and cut the slices in half. Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Layer with half the bread, half the ham, and half the cheese; repeat layers. Combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over mixture and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.

TOPPING:
3 cups cornflakes
1/2 c melted butter
Combine and sprinkle over eggs. Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
NOTES:
  • I'm just amazed at how well raw egg dishes work for freezer meals!
  • I divided this recipe in half and put each in one of my 11 cup Pyrex dishes.
  • I happened to have some leftover hamburger buns that fit just right for the bread requirement. I sliced each in fourths so they were about the thickness of a slice of bread and just left the crusts on. It worked just fine.
  • I didn't bother with the topping because I rarely have corn flakes, but if you wanted to do that, just freeze the egg part and then slip your zip loc of topping in the dish when it's all solid. Sprinkle it on before thawing and baking.
  • We ate one dish and I froze the other for another day.

No comments: