8 oz. elbow macaroni
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard (I omitted this because I didn’t have any)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup swiss cheese, divided
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1) Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3) Melt 2 T. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in dry mustard. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
4) Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5) Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheddar, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the swiss. Mix cheese sauce and macaroni in a large bowl. Spoon into a 9 x 7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar, mozzarella and swiss.
6) Melt remaining butter in saucepan over medium heat. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle on top of the cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- This is almost identical to my go-to recipe, but the variety of cheeses makes it a lot better.
- I added a small amount of ham - a good choice. (Bacon would also be pretty outstanding, but I didn't have any thawed.)
- Instead of bread crumbs, I just sprinkled garlic croutons on top of it all. Very good!
- Recipe source.