1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup water
1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
biga (from above)
2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- To make the biga: Mix all of the ingredients until well blended. Cover the bowl, and let rest at room temperature for 12 to 20 hours, until the mixture is very bubbly.
- To make the dough: Mix the biga with the remaining ingredients for 2 to 4 minutes, using an electric mixer set on slow speed. Increase the mixer speed to medium, and mix for about 4 minutes; the dough will be soft and slightly sticky. Add additional water or flour if necessary.
- Let the dough rise in a greased bowl, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, until very puffy.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and shape it into a 6" x 12" rectangle. Using a bench knife or pizza wheel, cut out eight 3" square rolls. Place the rolls, floured side up, onto parchment paper. Let them rise for about 45 minutes, lightly covered, until they're puffy.
- Place a baking stone in the top third of your oven, and preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake the rolls for 13 to 15 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
- Yield: 8 rolls.
- Outstanding texture! Well worth the wait.
- I'd cut into 12 instead of 8 next time. They're big enough that we're cutting them in half for a reasonable serving anyway.