1 cup butter
3 3/4 c. sifted flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp cider vinegar
4-6 tbsp milk
(optional) powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut butter into the flour with a pastry blender or two knives
- Blend in the sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice; beat eggs, vinegar, and milk together.
- Mix with the flour mixture until a stiff dough is formed.
- Knead thoroughly and roll out to 1/4" thick
- Cut into 3-inch rounds (I used a glass instead of a cookie/biscuit cutter) and place on greased baking sheets. Prick with a fork (in the shape of a cross, if you're doing this for a feast) and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- (Optional) Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar while still warm.