Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Powdered Laundry Detergent

1 c. Borax
1 c. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 bar of laundry soap, grated (I used Fels Neptha)


  • Grate the laundry bar.  
  • Add the Borax and washing soda, mix it together and put into an airtight container. 


Use 1-2 T. per load.  I use 2T. on really dirty loads and 1T. for the lighter stuff.  Translation?  2T. on the kids’ clothes and 1T. on mine.

Source
Notes:

  • I used a bar of Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap the first time (thanks, Trader Joe's!).  It grated nicely and had a pleasant, kind of minty smell.  Looks like they make other scents as well.  This time I used Fels Naptha just to try it out and because I can get it any any Walmart or grocery store around here for under a buck.  Either works.
  • I used my food processor to grate the soap - fine shredder blade, going slowly to grate it as fine as possible.
  • Then I switched to the chopping blade in the bowl and added the other 2 ingredients.  This made everything an even finer consistency and mixed it.
  • I'm storing it in a mason jar with a dedicated tablespoon measure.
  • I'm kind of liking this version better than the other liquid recipe I've made for the past year or so.  It's much less trouble to make and store.  The ingredients are identical, so it seems to work just as well for me.

No comments: