2 lbs. beef, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp paprika
2-3 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups chicken broth
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 carrots, peeled and cubed
1/8 c flour
Melt half of the butter in a large pot over medium heat and add meat. When it it slightly browned, add the onion and cook until it is transparent. Add paprika, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to simmer * and add potatoes and carrots; cover.
Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat and gradually add flour, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture thickens and add to stew, stirring constantly. Cook another 5 minutes or until potatoes and meat are tender.
- Quite delicious! The spice combo made a fantastic broth.
- From Kramarczuk's cookbook.
- Start with 1 tsp salt. It's probably enough.
- It's not in the original recipe, but it would be possible to simmer it longer at this * point if the meat needed to be more tender.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Try a more interesting paprika next time. I just used cheap-o store brand.
- Serve with the Old Country Hard Rolls.