1 c warm water (90-110 degrees), divided
1 pkg yeast
3 1/2 c flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 c oil
- Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 c warm water. Add yeast and let rest 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, salt, and remaining sugar in mixing bowl using hook attachment.
- Add remaining warm water, oil, and egg.
- Beat until soft dough forms. Continue to mix another 5 minutes.
- Remove from mixing bowl and place dough in a large oiled bowl.
- Cover dough and let rise 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down, cove again, and allow to rise another 10 minutes
- Remove dough from bowl and cut into 8 pieces. (about 4 ounces each)
- Roll pieces into well formed balls.
- Evenly place on a cookie sheet and allow to rise another 30 minutes.
- Place a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven (to obtain the desired crust).
- Place cookie sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake 15 minutes.
- From Kramarczuk's cookbook
- These were perfect in every way!
- I used bread flour.
- They made some pretty huge rolls. Delicious, but a bit of a commitment.