|Ours basically looked the same (minus the random Christmas ornament)|
Photo and recipe credit to Taste of Home
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups finely chopped dried apricots
- 2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain if necessary. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place apricots in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Stir the apricots, cherries and walnuts into rice. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt. Pour over rice mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Yield: 15 servings (2/3 cup each).
- Use a good quality olive oil, because it's a pretty major flavor.
- We omitted the maple syrup and it was just fine.
- We thought that the amount this recipe was supposed to make was a little ridiculous, so we went with about 4 cups of cooked rice, a 6-oz bag of apricots, and about half on the dressing ingredients.
- Overall a thumbs-up, and it was fun to make something a little different!