1 cup mashed very ripe banana (2 - 3 bananas)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup golden rum
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flaxmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
a pinch of cardamom
1 to 1-1/2 cups picked-over fresh or frozen cranberries (chopped)
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
For the glaze:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 - 3 teaspoons of rum
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas and mix in the sugar, rum, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir till it's all mixed up well.
- Add the flours, flaxmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, spices, cranberries and nuts, reserving a tablespoon or two of the walnuts for the top of the bread. Stir until the batter is mixed well and there are no pockets of flour anywhere.
- Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray, then pour the batter in and smooth it out with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with the reserved walnuts.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until a wooden pick or knife inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. (Mine took about an hour and 30 minutes to cook through.)
- When the bread is done and has cooled off a bit, mix up the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with the rum till smooth. The glaze should be very thin. Drizzle the glaze over the bread, allowing it to soak in for a few minutes, then slice the bread and enjoy!
NOTES: The bananas made this a very moist bread. I'd definitely make it again!
SOURCE: Grandmabelle's Pinterest page and this.