First the "official" recipe:
- 7/8 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 c vinegar (calls for "tarragon or other")
- 1/4 c salad oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 head of shredded cabbage
Now the version I usually make:
- half of the dressing recipe (cut cabbage, especially when shredded, adds liquid to the recipe and a full batch of dressing is always too much, imo)
- using miracle whip
- and plain, white vinegar
- skip the onion
- medium/small head of cabbage
- Quite often I don't measure very carefully - it's a pretty forgiving recipe.
- It was originally from the A & W or Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in Staples and my recipe card calls it Ozzie's Cole Slaw. (Ozzie Anglin? was the restaurant owner.)
- It was cut down from a huge restaurant recipe, hence the 7/8 cup measurement.
- If you use some red cabbage, add it at the last minute or the dressing will get all pink.