Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Italian Chicken

1 lb. boneless chicken breast
1 c. crushed onion and garlic croutons
1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 c. tomato puree

Combine crushed croutons, cheese, and seasoning in a wide shallow bowl. Put puree in a second bowl. Cut chicken into 1-inch strips. Dip in puree, then coat with crumbs. Place on sprayed baking dish, and bake at 400 for 35-45 minutes.

Source: Church Cookbook, Joy Polnaszek

I made this with some changes last night and Dad and Nick really liked it.

  • I didn't have croutons, so I used dried bread crumbs instead.
  • I mixed the seasonings with the crumbs (but not the cheese).
  • Instead of tomato puree, I used some leftover pizza sauce.
  • I cut each chicken breast into about three parts (instead of strips), cutting off the narrower half and then slicing the thicker part in two pieces lengthwise so there were three pieces of about the same general thickness.
  • I sprinkled the Parmesan on top of it all before baking.

No comments: