Sunday, July 17, 2016

"Baked" Beans - Instant Pot

1 lb navy beans (dry)
1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 large onion, diced
3 c water
1 tbls olive oil
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/3 c ketchup
1/3 c molasses
1/3 c brown sugar
3 tbsp yellow mustard


  1. Soak beans for 30 minutes as you prep other ingredients.  (I soaked them before Mass this morning and made the recipe when I got home.)
  2. With the cooker's lid off, heat bacon and onion on high until bacon is nearly crisp.  About 5 minutes.
  3. Add the drained beans, water, olive oil, dry mustard, cloves, and pepper.  Lock on the lid and cook on high for 20 minutes.
  4. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest.
  5. Stir in remaining ingredients.
NOTES
  1. Good! 
  2. About the same amount of liquid as opening a can of beans so serve with a slotted spoon.
  3. It would be easy to mess with the flavor a little.  These are a little on the sweet side.
  4. I'd also consider adding 1/4 tsp of liquid smoke.  (My new flavor friend, apparently.)
  5. I'm not sure why all the ingredients couldn't just be added from the start.
  6. We'll have this for dinner today and I'll probably freeze leftovers for another time.
UPDATES:
This time I added a splash of liquid smoke, about a tablespoon of worchestershire sauce, and BBQ sauce rather than ketchup.  Also, I cooked it in the IP for closer to 35 minutes and then in the oven for about 45 while my meat was finishing.  Either plan for extra cooking or soak the beans overnight.

No comments: