Monday, June 27, 2011

Aldi peaches

Following up on a conversation with Gianna (in which she mentioned purchasing peaches for TWENTY-NINE CENTS PER POUND), and Therese's post, just previous, on homemade peach ice cream, Nick and I had to check out our local Aldi in the hopes of getting some kind of similar deal.

Alas, we're not close enough to peach country to score that kind of deal, but they were $0.39 cents each, and that sounded pretty good. Just out of curiosity, I weighed them when I got home and discovered my six peaches came out to 2.25 pounds and I paid $2.34 which comes out to $1.04/lb. which is quite a bit less than a comparable product at Cub.*


Granted, the Cub product was bigger and riper (and smelled like a shadowy version of something I hope to encounter in heaven someday), but for close to half price, I'm a fan.

I also got blueberries for $1.29/pint again. And that's just amazing.

I did notice that the coffee creamer I purchased for $1.49 at the Hwy. 65 Aldi was $2.19 at the one by Riverdale. I wonder if that's typical?

*Yes, I did take a photo of a price sign at Cub. Fortunately, it's almost impossible to embarrass my kids. ;-)

3 comments:

Molly said...

I'm pretty sure I paid 29 cents each on Saturday, but when I went on Sunday for a forgotten item, the price had gone up a bit. (Are you sure Gianna didn't misread the sign?) I bought 24 nectarines because I prefer those over peaches. I remember them at about 10 cents each later in the season last summer. Keep your eyes peeled. :)

Mike Roesch said...

Doesn't Nick get a Confirmation (quasi-)pseudonym now?

Margaret Mary said...

Actually, he'll post a recipe as Longinus every now and again. I just forgot to use it. Technically, the newly-Confirmed Nick is Augustine.